One of the questions that we here at Upon A Star Travel get often asked about is travel insurance. Is it worth it? I always tell my clients that you don't need it until you do!
Many folks are unaware that travel insurance also comes with 24-hour travel assistance - this alone is a great perk! If travel assistance isn't reason enough to consider purchasing a policy, check out this list of reasons to add travel insurance to your next vacation:
- Trip Cancelation: if someone gets sick and can’t travel, a parent dies, you’re required to work, or your house floods, you’ll be able to recover your out-of-pocket expenses for these covered reasons and more.
- Your flight is canceled: this is considered trip interruption. If your flight is canceled, you’ll have the money to refund the expenses of a new return ticket or to stay in a comfortable hotel.
- You miss your flight connection: it happens more than you would think, even in the summer months. If you miss the only flight of the day headed to Jamaica, you will be spending the night in the airport or a hotel. Travel insurance will cover your expenses for this, along with your meals in the airport, and other expenses.
- Your baggage is delayed or lost: your insurance company will help you recover your bags. You’ll also be reimbursed for the essential items you need to start enjoying your trip; you even get reimbursed for a new suitcase!
- You get sick or injured while on vacation: the medical coverage that comes with your policy offers assistance services in your own language to locate a suitable medical facility and arrange transportation there, plus it covers your medical bills.
- You need medical evacuation: if a member of your travel party falls ill while in the middle of the ocean or in a remote location, you can arrange safe transportation to a medical facility. Medical evacuations typically cost tens of thousands of dollars, and with travel insurance, you are covered.
- A hurricane destroys your vacation destination: you've been waiting for months to head to Jamaica, but a hurricane has blown through and damaged the resort you were planning to visit. With travel insurance, you'll be able to recover your pre-paid costs. And your Upon a Star agent can help you find a new resort for your trip :)
- Your passport is lost or stolen: you will have assistance recovering and/or expediting the process of replacing your passport.
- You need emergency assistance while traveling: if your rental car breaks down and you are in a foreign country where you do not speak the language, the travel assistance hotline has you covered. Your policy will also pay for alternate transportation to get you where you need to be!
- A terrorist event occurs: if your vacation destination is in chaos due to a terrorist attack, you can cancel your trip without losing all of the money you've spent.
It is always our hope that vacations will run smoothly, but the reality is that unexpected events occur. Insurance policies are not as expensive as you may think, and the peace of mind you get by protecting your investment is priceless.
Talk to your Upon A Star agent to see which type of policy is best for your situation. We work with several trusted vendors that offer excellent travel insurance policies. Also, this is an appropriate time for a friendly reminder to save all of your receipts when traveling!