Just an update on the Real ID act and what it means for you. Just remember that right now, PA & NJ both have an extension only through October 10, 2018. PennDOT will not be issuing RealID compliant drivers licenses until early 2019. California is issuing compliant licenses now, but you must choose that as the option; not all licenses are RealID compliant. It is unclear as to when NJ will issue RealID compliant licenses. As long as the federal government continues to issue extensions, Pennsylvanians, Californians, & New Jersey residents may continue to fly with current ID. The final deadline for enforcement is 2020.
Pennsylvanians Click here for more info
Californians Click here for more info
Those from TX and OH -- your states are compliant, but please ensure that your Driver's License is the RealID compliant version.
What this means:
At this time, those traveling on/after Oct 10, 2018 will need another form of ID to board aircraft:
- U.S. passport
- U.S. passport card
- DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
- U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
- Permanent resident card
- Border crossing card
- DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
- Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
- HSPD-12 PIV card
- Foreign government-issued passport
- Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
- Transportation worker identification credential
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
- U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential
It is possible that PA/NJ/CA will receive another extension, but it is not a given.
TSA requires that adults boarding aircraft use proper ID, but ID is not required for children under age 18.
If an extension is not granted beyond Oct 10, as of right now you will need another form of ID to fly.
If you have any questions or unsure of what ID you will need to travel, please contact your Upon A Star Agent today for more info!